Ok, so this is my first post on this new blog. Hmmm, all the things I wanted to say have slipped my mind, but we'll work on it.
The reason for this blog is just to keep us all who are going to hike Havasupai, Lord willing, in May, 2010, encouraged and anticipating a great time. Hopefully we will have several others who plan to go add comments regularly.
I have alot of work to do between now and then as far as losing weight and preparing physically for this hike (I know... it sounds like I'm climbing Mt. Everest). I hope to do many day hikes in this lovely county in which I live in order to prepare for "the big one." :) I want to post pictures of those hikes as well as exciting things like when we get our packs, etc. Everyone is invited to encourage, suggest and give congrats (even constructive critisism is allowed). However, nay sayers and grumps need not post. Several of us will be using this to help keep us accountable in our quest for weight loss and exercise. Feel free to post recipes. If any readers have hiked Havasupai and want to offer thoughts and suggestions, go for it. We can use all the help we can get!
Here's how this all came about. My daughter, Bekah, and I were talking recently about a way to do something very neat together. The idea of hiking Havasupai came up. Now, I did this years (and years) ago and have told her of some of it. This sounded like a great idea. I was alread working on loosing weight and this seemed like good motivation. However, we didn't want to do it alone, so we invited other close friends to do it with us. Due to certain circumstances, we chose May of 2010. On top of everything else, it gave us plenty of time to get ready. So, here we are, 22 months and counting. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I took a hiking class the first summer session at the local community college. I found lots of neat hikes close by and a book that lists 109 day hikes within our county limits. I poured through that book and listed 50 hikes I want to do ranging from 1 mile to 15 miles. I hope to have done them all before we do Havasupai. It's good for Bekah, too. She may be young, but hiking is not the same as a stroll down the street. She's looking forward to doing the hikes, too.
I have already lost, by God's grace, mercy and help, almost 30 pounds. I know I'd like to drop at least another 20. We'll see. As long as I'm in good shape, I'll do what I can do. I'm not doing any specific diet. My motto: EAT LESS, MOVE MORE! (This is not original with me.) That and to make better food choices. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy a little here and there, just in moderation, and be willing to work it off. My desire is to move somehow (biking, hiking, walking, etc) in some way at least 5 if not 6 days a week. That's my desire. Sometimes life gets in the way, and that's ok, too, as long as I get moving again as soon as possible.
Ok, I've rambled enough. I pray that the Lord blesses you with this blog, that you'll be encouraged, if not to do something like Havasupai, to just make little changes that you can do on a regular basis.
God's blessings,
Kim
Approximate Date of Hike: Mid-May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lookin' good!
Post a Comment